Saturday, May 4, 2013

Holy Skewed Reality Batman!

Or should I say "Batgender-race neutral".  I mean seriously people.

Our two youngest boys watch a lot of television shows that probably most parents wouldn't consider "appropriate" for kids their age (13 and 10).  Sometimes people find out and say, "oh, I don't let my kids watch that show" or "really? aren't they a little young?". Or they silently judge me and silence is often the loudest.  I used to care but I got over it when I noticed that my kids were pretty darn cool in spite of the "inappropriate content" they had been exposed to.  So yeah, I let my kids watch Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother and Modern Family.  But you know what I would NEVER encourage them to watch...the evening news.  With television shows it is easy to say, "that is done for humor or that's not real".  And you might think here that I'm going to say that the world is just too ugly and dangerous so I don't want them to see it...but you'd be wrong...don't fret, I used to be wrong a lot too but I stopped and became AWESOME instead (HIMYM:-))!!  My kids are strong enough to handle the actual news...it's the stuff the media passes off as "news" that I don't want them exposed to.

My cool friend and African missionary Janette Miller and I were chatting last week.  She pointed out the discrepancy in news coverage between two tragedies that happened in the same week.  The Boston Marathon bombings and the explosion at the fertilizer factory in Texas.  In the first four people died, in the second upwards of 14 people died.  The first was sensationalized the second was barely covered.  Both were tragic, both were horrible, in both cases families lost loved ones.  But the media decided that the bombing was more news worthy and nobody seemed to care.

This week the news has been all over an NBA basketball player "coming out" and he is called a hero. My attitude and feelings have evolved over the years towards homosexuality...I'm not going to lie here...it gives me the heebie jeebies...but I don't believe love is a sin and I also don't believe it is mine to judge.  I don't care whom you chose to love as long as I don't have to watch the physical stuff and I presume you would feel the same about me...intimacy is actually NOT very pretty which is why I believe we should all have locks on our bedroom doors!!! and our bedroom mouths for that matter!

So anyway, back to my point.  I don't think Jason Collins is a hero.  I think anyone who is "real" in this world of make believe is brave, but it doesn't make them a hero.  I also don't think it is Jason Collin's fault that he is being called a hero.  The media took a story, knew it would be controversial (NOT newsworthy, just controversial) and they blew it up.

So yes, my kids watch "inappropriate television" but not the news...never the "news" and don't even get me started on "reality" television!

2 comments:

  1. New to your blog because I tried blog hopping and I just had to comment, I Loved this post, I love an honest person, one whom doesn't write what they think someone may want to hear or not write because someone may not agree. I am with you 100% about the news media and the shows that parents allow their children to watch. if you are their to parent and supervise them throughout their life then it is all up to you. Thanks so much for allowing me to be able to read your blog. Tammie @ vermonter34@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks Tammie...I think you are my first non family/acquaintance comment...I am honored that you liked it. :-)

      Delete